Thursday, November 5, 2009

My Very Own TARDIS!

Many years ago......maybe 20 or so, an old boyfriend built me a balsa wood TARDIS. It stood about 12 inches tall and I thought it was great. I moved a lot, so I often worried it would get wrecked being packed up in a box all the time, so I gave it away to a co-worker who was working on developing a possible Dr. Who animated series. It never came to be....and I regretted losing such a unique handmade item.

To make a long story short, I recently reconnected with this past boyfriend and told him how I regretted losing my old TARDIS. Well, he surprised me just a few weeks ago with the news that he was building me a new one! This one is larger and built from birch plywood, so it's stronger.He put such great detail into it! Both front doors open and it has a night-light on top with a light sensor so it lights up at night!

Here's a photo without the use of my camera flash.

Here's a detail shot of the handmade door handle and keyhole with a swing away cover! He even went to the trouble of printing out the notice on the telephone door...which the old one never had! This TARDIS stands approximately two feet tall. I will keep this one for the rest of my life.
It's a one-of-a-kind built just for me by a very dear friend.

No comments: