Friday, January 30, 2009

Woodcut Style

I've always been attracted to this style of artwork, the woodcut print. Albrecht Durer was apparently a master of this art and here's an example of his work:


I have no idea why I'm showing that masterpiece and then my own pathetic ink drawings that are trying to mimic the woodcut style, but I'm a strange person. Anyway.....I've been working on a "Halloween Book" and I decided to illustrate it in this style, using old woodcuts as reference.
I've obviously put my own spin on the drawings and have not copied them exactly. It was done more as an exercise to keep my drawing skills up.


The above image was referenced from the Malleus Maleficarum, one of the most evil books ever written, attempting to justify the European witch hunts and trials.

Above was inspired by a woodcut describing the Apocalypse. "The Beast" in chains.

Above, of course are the seven deadly sins, in little demon forms.

This one was actually the very first one I did. It spurred me on to try more. The next one is of two completely different styles:

Below is an image I've come across a lot on the internet....Matthew Hopkins...Witch Finder Generall. I've noticed a lot of "creative" spelling going on in some of these old texts.
I recently discovered there's a movie called "The Conquerer Worm" (originally titled Witchfinder General) starring Vincent Price (swoon), as Matthew Hopkins. I'll have to see it!

Apparently, Hopkins had a real problem with little old ladies owning small animals.
And speaking of small animals, cats have played a huge role in the whole witchhunting tragedy.

"Many people believed the cat to be a child of the moon because of its association with night and eyes that resembled the phases of the moon." (I'm just finishing the quote that I cut off in the image)

And speaking of mysterious things and children, my daughter wanted me to make her a "voodoo doll" for some strange reason. I warned her not to stick pins in it or let anybody's hair become a part of it. Anyway....after it was made, she stuck a couple of pins in it and said it hurt her and promptly decided she didn't want to have anything to do with it any more.

I followed her drawing for it, that's why it's asymmetrical.

5 comments:

el pancake said...

that vincent price film is pretty wild...saw it in the theatre when it first came out..it was VERY violent
...I think there are two different versions available on dvd..(something to do with copyright or something)..I've heard one is missing a lot of footage
(like the American vs British versions of Wickerman)

Suzanne Dargie said...

Today one of our neighbours gave us their big old T.V. so hopefully I'll have a chance to do some more movie watching. I've seen the original (British) version of Wickerman, and I have no desire to see the lame remake. I'm aware I may find "Witchfinder General" disturbing, but I want to see it because of Vincent Price only. Something about his voice just turns me to Jello.
I'll never forget "Theatre of Blood" with Vincent Price that I saw at your place MANY years ago.
The whole witch-hunting thing is a VERY disturbing subject to me, and I'm so horrified that it went on for CENTURIES!

el pancake said...

I was referring to the original version of Wickerman, and how it was horribly cut for US markets.
..I have no interest in the Nicholas Cage version.

Willy Ashworth said...

Hi Suzanne

I have the very film of which you speak, the Vincent Price one..The Witchfinder General!

I just picked it up this summer. I'm sure it must be the "tame" one el pancake, although it was pretty brutal.

Nice work there Suzanne.

I as well have no interest in ANYTHING Mr. Cage is involved in.

Anonymous said...

I love those woodcut style drawings. Keep on drawing.

Spyrunner